Monday, November 22, 2010

@LEGUESSWHO tips by Geert van der Velde @blackatlantic - James Blackshaw, Luik, Ganglians

We have asked our favorite promoters, festivals and bands to tip their three recommendations from this year's Le Guess Who? festival line-up. This edition: The Black Atlantic-frontman Geert van der Velde.

James Blackshaw (Wed 24 Nov)
It's funny I hadn't read the LGW? blog before I wrote what I wrote below. But, I guess, I'm not the only one in love with this man. And, with right! James Blackshaw is one of my all time favorite instrumentalists; a composer / musician who never ceases to inspire me.

His new record "All is Falling" is one of my absolute favorite records of 2010. I was fortunate enough to see him play at Incubate 2009 in a church. It was everything I imagined it would be, except on the record the songs are more arranged whereas live the songs come alive in a completely different, more organic way.

His music isn't easy to pigeonhole. He borrows from many genres including 'minimalism' , 'classical' and 'drone'. It's very cinematic and very melodic with some kind of dark medieval undercurrent that gets me every time.

Luik (Thu 25 Nov)
Luik is a brand spankin' new band. Like, fresh out of the egg, sticky baby bird new. At their first show they only had 4 songs to play live. And, their only officially released song is on a compilation by 3VOOR12 called "Hollandse Nieuwe".

But, Luik sports some serious Dutch talent, including members of infamous Dutch avant-noise group Bonne Aparte, and their moodier more melodic radio(head) brother band, Johnny Cage. However, you can leave all your preconceived notions of what this should sound like behind, because it doesn't sound anything like that.

Luik is moody, sure, but 'vibey' would be a more accurate description. Luik vibes. Ever hear of Morphine? The band, and not the drug? Or, Low? Imagine them being pleasant, for a change, with a touch of melancholy and you're starting to get the hang of it...

Ganglians (Fri 26 Nov)
Everyone can tell you that I love me some vocal harmonies. And, well, Ganglians do it just right most of the time. And, when they're off sometimes I think it's because they want to be. I'll chalk it up to the free spirit that flows throughout their songs. Their record "Monster Head Room", from 2009 I believe, is a plain and simple, fun and sunny-shambly collection of sixties inspired indie pop songs. And, If I wasn't on tour I would've definitely been at their show hip(ster)-shaking my ass off to their upbeat tunes.

Later today: Le Guess Who? tips by Tim Knol.

No comments:

Post a Comment