Wednesday, November 3, 2010

@LEGUESSWHO tips by Phil Waldorf @DeadOceans - Scientist, Awesome Tapes From Africa, Caribou

We have asked our favorite promoters, festivals and bands to tip their three recommendations from this year's Le Guess Who? festival line-up. This edition: Phil Waldorf, who runs independent record label Dead Oceans (Tallest Man On Earth, Dirty Projectors, Phosphorescent, Bowerbirds).


Scientist (Sat 27 Nov)
I love the surrealist humor and deep deep sounds of Scientist's totally blown-out futurist dub. Space Invaders? Yes! Hearing this live through the giant stacks of a world class PA would be other worldly. Space is the Place, no doubt about it.

Awesome Tapes From Africa (Thu 25 Nov)
When I stumbled across the Awesome Tapes from Africa website I was in a state of shock. So much unknown and wonderful music. I installed an application on my web browser that allowed me to download everything from a single web page with one click, and filled up a hard drive. I'm still sifting through it all, finding greatness every time I dive in. It is a treasure chest of 1s and 0s.

Caribou (Fri 26 Nov)
I was completely ignorant of Caribou's music until very recently, when I randomly heard their single, "Odessa," and it became an obsession. Play it, and play it again. It is a perfect pop song. Stop what you're doing and find this song. And hit repeat.



Tomorrow: Le Guess Who? tips by CARTER ADAMS from The Windish Agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment