Monday, October 31, 2011

Le Guess Who? 2011 tips by: Daniel Seligman - Pop Montreal Festival

Today, we're starting a new series of 'Le Guess Who? tips by..' In short: we've asked our favorite promoters, festivals and bands to tip their five recommendations for this year's Le Guess Who? festival line-up. This edition: Daniel Seligman of Pop Montreal Festival.

Socalled
Socalled is a long time POP alumni and all around genius. You really need to see this one man wonder of music, entertainment and magic to believe. I've never seen anyone else like him and I don't think I ever will.



Braids
Braids are the sweetest people on earth. Their music is wholly original and excellently executed. It's hypnotic trippy and catchy without ever once sounding derivative or cliched.



Bill Callahan
I'm jealous. I've been trying to book Callahan for 5 years. you lucky bastards



Cheveu
Cheveu played POP this year. They rule. Their experimental garage rock will get you on your feet and in the mood to party.



Shabazz Palaces
I'm very curious to see Shabazz Palaces, I was a fan of The Digable Planets back in the day, so it's nice to see Butterfly metamorphosize into this new life. Although they are shrouded in mystery which seems to be working as a buzz builder, musically, Tendai Maraire spooky disjointed beats create an interesting compliment to the free associative lyrical flow of Ishmael Butler. I think it will be dope in a live setting.



For the most up to date timeshedule, go here. Tomorrow: tips by Vincent Koreman, artistic director of Incubate.

No comments:

Post a Comment