Saturday, October 29, 2011

Le Guess Who? introduces part 22: Com Truise

A former drum 'n' bass DJ, Seth Haley has tried his hand at various production aliases in a variety of styles, but it wasn't until he adopted the persona Com Truise that he found his first real acclaim. Despite the cleverness (or not-cleverness) of the name, Com Truise isn't some celebrity deconstruction or po-mo prank. The retro-futurist melancholy of the music soon gives the name a different resonance—you start thinking of "Com" as in "intercom," and "Truise" as, perhaps, a star in a distant quadrant. His debut album, 'Galactic Melt', pays homage to '70s synthesizer music, '80s funk, and Boards of Canada's woozy nostalgia for the same periods.

But what's in a name? "It started out as a joke. I had two other names for the project before I decided to go with Com Truise. I woke up one morning and realized I had no real intentions for this project, so let's go with this crazy name, who cares? Then it just kind of stuck. When I think back, if I had made a different choice or went with one of the other names, I probably wouldn't be where I am now. It's silly, but I do believe it has some sort of stopping power. A lot of people are like, "I love the music but hate the name." The point of the music isn't really the name. I could call it, like, Monkey Turd, you know?" (read the rest of the interview on Rhapsody)

Com Truise recently toured with Glitch Mob and Neon Indian. Watch a video of some live footage recorded there below and listen to Com Truise's newest tracks on soundcloud.



Latest tracks by Com Truise

Com Truise will be spinning his set at Thursday November 24th.
Check our website for tickets and more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment