Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Le Guess Who? introduces part 10: My Brightest Diamond

My Brightest Diamond (a.k.a. Shara Worden) arrives fully armed with serious art-pop credibility. A veteran of Sufjan Stevens' Illinoisemakers who used to perform under the moniker AwRY, she's earned the admiration of Bon Iver, The National's Bryce Dessner and The Decemberists, among others. But ever since she first arrived on the scene, the operatically trained performer has drawn upon classical musicians as co-conspirators — not for bombast or sentimentality on overdrive, but just the opposite: for warmth, for intimacy. Acoustic instruments bloom under human touch, and that's what My Brightest Diamond is all about.

My Brightest Diamond singing 'I have never loved someone' for La Blogotheque's Take Away Shows. Filmed in Berlin, at the MichelBerger Mystery Music Festival, August 2011.

"After the concert I finally dared to ask her what I wanted to ask her that morning, to sing us this lullaby that struck me down. It's Sunday morning, a morning of hangovers. The whole hotel seems suspended in the air. We ask her to get to the bar, to make it sing for her, to sing for her son (for whom she had written this song). We erase ourselves. She, she doesn't. After we're done filming, I cry. She cries too."





My Brightest Diamond will be performing at Le Guess Who? at Sunday November 27th. Buy your passe-partout or daytickets at www.leguesswho.com

No comments:

Post a Comment